View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: Out of college and still cant figure things out - March 28th 2015, 05:41 PM

I don't know about the particular field that you're aiming to get into, but the software industry is notoriously full of people with windy and non-traditional paths. I can confidently say that if you wanted to pursue that, you can. Everything you need to know can be learned on your own time, and sufficient personal projects can make up for or even exceed the value of an internship on your resume.

I think that virtually all jobs which we think of as "careers" require significant investment, be it time or money, usually both. That's why there's so much pressure to "figure it out" before pursuing something, because there's going to be a long commitment involved once we start. But that's okay, because most people change careers multiple times throughout their working life nowadays.

And don't worry, I haven't gotten anything figured out either. I'm trying to not stress myself out by putting on a deadline. I'm comfortable doing anything that pays the bills.... and things will be figured out on their own time; and it will be a natural, rather than a forced process.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.