View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13 Points: 8,025, Level: 13

Re: My boyfriend is cutting, what do I do? - April 27th 2015, 11:12 PM

Hey,

I'm sorry this is happening to both you and your boyfriend. I think it's worth trying to talk to him. You don't have to try and convince him to do anything right away, but you can tell him you noticed the cuts and are worried about how he's doing. If he seems open about it, or at least okay with talking about it, you could show him a list of alternatives (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/) or even direct him to this site. If he waves it off, says he's fine, or refuses to talk about it, try to give him some space. Like the above poster said, don't constantly ask him or pester him about it. Just bring it up now and then and ask if he's okay.

If it seems like his situation is really bad or is getting worse, you could tell a parent, teacher, or guidance counselor about it (keep in mind that if you tell an adult at school, they are usually required to tell the counseling department and your boyfriend's parents. You could look into the specific rules for your school if you're interested). It might not seem like a good option because of how he might react, but his safety is what's most important.

Other than that, just try to spend time with him and be kind to him. He'll definitely appreciate it. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too – try different alternatives from the list I linked to and see what works. Telling a close friend or adult could also help.

Good luck with everything. Shoot me a message if you need anything or want to talk
~Estelle

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson