View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Parents and my relationship - May 6th 2015, 05:05 PM

I don't mean to sound unfair, but parents usually treat their children differently. Sometimes it is for a good reason because children respond differently to different types of requests or discipline or rewards - like my brother would be happy with Yu Gi Oh cards as a reward but I might have wanted a new shirt, which I know is a lame example. Let's try another; an autistic child might need a 5 - 10 minute warning to transition away from the TV whereas another non-autistic child might just be expected to get up and leave on the spot, or maybe parents let one child have the choice of movie more often and it's not favouritism, it's because they know their 4 year old is tired and crabby and will probably throw a tantrum otherwise, whereas a more mellow child may not do something like that.

Other times, parents treat their children differently for other reasons that are not so immediately apparent. For example, your mother might worry about your more because you're the youngest and she's seen the things that happened to the older siblings and tries to protect you more in a way that's just not helpful for you.

What might help is just trying to let your mom know that you're being safe and that, while you are happy to talk about your relationship, that you feel like you re being interrogated a lot, which makes you uncomfortable.

Maybe try asking her if something is causing her apparent concern because, while you can't end your relationship and you should be able to spend time with your boyfriend without constant observation, you can try to hear her out and understand why she is worried.

All else failing, you can just tell her that your happy to share about your relationship but you would appreciate it if she didn't approach it like an interrogation.

I hope that helps.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions