Thread: Triggering (Grieving): My parents dont understand
View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount11

Edit avatar

Re: My parents dont understand - June 10th 2015, 03:52 AM

Hey there.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how that must have been for you, losing a friend to suicide. I know it can't be easy for you at all, though. Do you have anyone to lean on for support? Take a look at this thread, it explains who you can go to for help. Everyone grieves in their own ways and goes through many feelings. And being able to talk about whatever thoughts and feelings come up would be very healthy for you. On that note, here on TeenHelp you don't have to go through this alone! Many people would be happy to listen to what you have to say, including me.

First, I'd like to point out that what you did was courageous and brave; talking to your tutor about how you've been feeling then asking him to email your parents. That's really brave and positive of you to reach out. Although, I'm sorry that you dad didn't react in a more positive way. Just so you'll know, not everyone will react that way so don't let this experience discourage you from opening up to others close to you!

While your dad has probably had his own share of troubles just like everyone does at some point (after all, we are human), he may find it hard to imagine younger age groups suffering from depression. I understand your anger completely, though. I would feel angry and upset as well. I mean, you did just decide to open up to him. Regardless of all this, I do believe he does care a lot about you and love you as you are his child. To me, it seems like he's having trouble understanding and processing this.

Do you think it'd help if you talked to your parents about this again? By explaining to your parents how you've been feeling and what's been going on in a calm, informative and thoughtful way, they'd gain a better understanding on it to support you better. I also agree with Mathmaticiousforlife's idea about wording things differently. Try getting it across to them that you feel you really need help and that you'd appreciate if they were to drive you to your GP. If they still aren't willing to drive you, do you have any other family members that could?

I really do hope that you can talk to your parents more and that they become more understanding towards your struggles. For many, parents can be really comforting and supportive when you're struggling and you deserve to have that as well. And in the meantime, I hope things start looking up for you soon. I know you're going through a tough time right now, but always keep in mind that you can get through this. I'm sure you're a strong person, so don't doubt that, okay?

Feel free to continue posting here and reaching out for support, okay? We don't mind and plus, you shouldn't have to go through this alone!