View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,654, Level: 59 Points: 172,654, Level: 59 Points: 172,654, Level: 59

Medication to treat mental health. - July 5th 2015, 05:55 PM

Hey!

I'm going to write an article on what to think about when considering going on medication to treat mental health issues. Here is what I have for ideas on what to cover so far, any other suggestions?

1. Consider the side effects that may be possible. In this section I'd also state to talk to the person who prescribes the medication, asking them about any allergies you have or any other medications you are on to make sure nothing interacts.

2. Consider your willingness or ability to commit. I don't know about other mental health professionals, but the person who prescribes my medication wants me to meet with her every few weeks, more if I am having problems, and this can be difficult for some people. They also may want to consider things such as if they feel able to take the medication every day. Also emphasize the fact that you shouldn't stop taking the medications without first consulting the person who prescribed you the medications.

3. Consider things such as affordability, since it is an unfortunate but true fact that sometimes people cannot afford their medications.

4. Consider the fact that medication isn't a quick fix. You won't start feeling better the instant you take the medication. Also consider that medication is best when used alongside other types of therapies. Medication can definitely help you take the edge off and cope better, and you should use this to your advantage. Learn other ways to cope besides just relying on medications. Also consider the fact that not everyone is the same. You may not be put on the right dose or type of medication right away, and therefore adjustments may need to be made along the way.

5. Make sure that you are willing to be honest and open with the person who prescribes your medication. It is important they know what your concerns are about your medication, and make sure you ask questions if you are unsure of something. Your health is important, so if you are unsure if something that is going on is right, make sure you ask! It is also important that they know what's going on in your life so they know if you're getting better, worse, or staying the same.

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive