View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Need Help: writing lyrics - October 26th 2015, 06:56 PM

Hey there,

I've been writing music since I was about 10. Personally, I like to get a melody down before coming up with the lyrics. It's always been a bit easier for me to find words to fit the beat than beats to fit the words.

If I have something specific that I'm trying to write about, like a person or situation, I like to spend between 10-15 minutes thinking about that. What are some words to describe the subject of the song? What emotions do you get when thinking about the subject? Drawing inspiration in the moment can help a great deal in the overall process.

Singing the song out loud while you are writing it can help a lot. Does it sound the way you want it to? Sometimes, it can look good on paper but, when you actually sing it, it doesn't quite convey what you want it to. Continue to sing the line over and over again until you find a word that fits the way you want it to.

If you're feeling intense emotion, positive or negative, that's a great time to start writing as well. Great art is drawn from great emotion and, when your feelings are strong, it can sometimes be easier to get your thoughts across because they are so raw, open, and honest.

Don't be afraid to put it down and walk away. Writing music should be a fun, cathartic process. If you're getting frustrated with it, you won't be able to produce the best results. I've had some songs take me months to complete because of how long I had to walk away from them. In some cases, I've put a song down so long that I nearly forgot about it and, when I picked it back up, I was able to get it out in about an hour. The point is that writing a song doesn't happen overnight.

I hope this helped!

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.