View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
BookDragon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Caitlyn

Points: 6,310, Level: 11 Points: 6,310, Level: 11 Points: 6,310, Level: 11

Question How to find the right doctor? - November 9th 2015, 04:37 AM

Well hi there.
I'm 19 years old and am still living at home. I have several mental health problems (PTSD, depression, anxiety, ADHD, Borderline Personality Disorder; I have been formally diagnosed by a doctor as a teenager.) and I want to go find a doctor.

The issue is this: I've never made a doctor's appointment in my life. I've run out of medication and have finally realized if I'm going to get better, I need to take control of my life, starting with my medicine and mental health.

I don't know how to go about finding a doctor, or how to be discrete about it, because I really do not want my parents involved in my healthcare anymore. They are the root of a big chunk of my problems. I'm tired of living under their thumb; the only way I can take back control of my life is if I can leave-the first step is taking care of the essentials.

How do I find/choose a doctor? I have medical insurance through my place of work but I'm really not sure where to go from here.

Sorry if this is a silly question, I have a lot of them-my parents never taught me the important things I would need to know as an adult.

My body may be a temple but I am the god to whom it is devoted. Do not presume to tell me how I may decorate my altar.

repeat after me: i can and i will. i may not get there right away. i may fail multiple or even hundreds of times. but i am going to pick myself back up and eventually get to the point i want to be at in my life.