(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Grad School? - November 17th 2015, 06:12 PM

I'd definitely take time off. First, you're late to be making a decision and applying for anything for Fall 2016 if that was something you were considering. I began studying for the GRE about a year before I applied, and if you're wanting to go into psych, you may have to take the psych one...yeah. Second, do you even have a program in mind? Counseling? A doctoral degree? An MSW? If you're only going to graduate school to avoid student debt, "because you only have a psych degree," and you don't really have a program in mind? I'd say it's a bad choice to jump into. Honestly, I was EXTREMELY sure about going to grad school from junior year on, and now, I sorta wish I would have taken time off. I'm not a competitive candidate; I'm surrounded by many people who have gone through careers (some were doctors) and I feel like I bring very little experience to my degree. So time off can really be a good thing.

Yeah, you'll have to pay loans. Loans suck. But you can figure that out. Australia sounds like a great idea! My friend just got back from spending a year in Australia working, and she really enjoyed her time there and it helped her realize her strength and independence. There's nothing wrong wtih taking some time off to figure out what you want to do. You can also do more with a psych degree than you think as long as you market it.

something burning?