View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Catlady Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 8,140, Level: 13 Points: 8,140, Level: 13 Points: 8,140, Level: 13

Re: New Medicine Addiction - November 20th 2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
Addiction is not a well defined concept. Anyone who takes oxycontin for an extended period of time- medically or not- will develop physical dependence and maybe even a psychological craving when stopping. Its just the nature of opioids. Not only can they cause withdrawal when stopping, but they work by activating beta-endorphin receptors in the brain--which can produce feelings of pleasure. So you are right in saying that there is a risk of addiction even for medical use.

But as far as full blown addiction- you'd need to take it for a long enough time and you'd have to probably start abusing it/start trying to get higher doses. It seems that since you are concerned about not getting addicted- then that automatically puts you into a lower risk group---much lower than the people who are taking it to get high; because for one, you are being cautious about it.
Ohhhh ok, thank you for really explaining this to me. I have never taken it before and so I really didn't know how it worked. Just that it was addictive. I definitely don't want to develop an addiction that's why I wanted to see how high the risk of having one was before I took it. Thank you again!