View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Parents disagree with relationship - December 1st 2015, 04:00 AM

Hey,

I think you should consider sitting down to talk to your parents about everything. I know that may seem hard to do, but you might benefit from talking it out with them. Perhaps you can ask them to set aside some time to talk about the things you're going through. It might help to make a list ahead of time so you know what you're going to say.

You might want to explain that you are not looking to argue, and if an argument begins, you would like to step aside to let things cool down before resuming the conversation. I think you should explain to your parents that you feel pressured to go out with your friend and you do not have interest in him. Maybe tell them that you don't want to lead him on since the feelings are not there. It might help if you tell your parents that you can understand where they are coming from, and then give yourself the opportunity to explain your perspective.

I don't think your decisions have been dumb at all. You're doing what you feel is best for you and your parents do not have to agree with that, but calling your decisions dumb isn't necessary. Try to use "I" statements to tell them that the pressure they're putting on you is beginning to take a toll on your mental health.

Let me know if you need anything.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers