View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: addiction to scab picking - December 20th 2015, 01:55 AM

Hey,

Picking your scabs is a form of self-harm. Anything you do with the intention of harming yourself is considered self-harm. Do you know what makes you feel like doing this? You said you get anxiety until you pick. Do you use any coping skills for anxiety? Anxiety can be really hard to deal with it but there are a lot of coping skills for it. Something that is good to focus on with anxiety is your breathing. A lot of times, your breathing will change without you noticing it and that can make things worse. It might help if you try to pay attention to that and then take some deep breaths to steady yourself.

You can also lie down in bed and watch your stomach rise and fall with your breathing. You can listen to music, color, or anything you find relaxing. Maybe you can try to figure out what is triggering your anxiety so you can work on that. Definitely find an outlet for your feelings if you don't already have one. You can keep a journal, or blog. Do you think you can keep something in your hands to keep them busy? You could look around for some fidget toys to keep your hands away from your scabs. In the meantime, here are some self-harm alternatives to take a look at.

Hang in there.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers