View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: I get jealous of my boyfriend. How can I get over this? - June 26th 2016, 03:14 PM

I think Lizzie has already touched on a important point (one of many I agree with here actually): Do you ever hang out with his friends? I know that might feel weird and, right now, might seem like it won't help, but it helped me a lot because I don't have a ton of friends where I live because I'm not from the area and most of my school friends moved away. I go and chill with his friends occasionally and that way I have a bit more of a social life - bear in mind that it is a balancing act, I make sure I don't spend so much time with his friends that I feel like I'm leeching off them for social contact / totally dependent on the for social contact / never giving him any time with just his friends, it's just a periodic thing and, trust me, it's totally ok to bring your girlfriend if your crowd is going bowling or to a movie or dinner or whatever. You could even make it into a double/triple/quadruple date for the first time or two if that makes you feel better.

One thing that I noticed is that you said your two (or so) friends have other friends closer to them than you are to them and they never make plans with you. Well, ok, but do you try to make plans with them? Whether you have or not, it really helps to assert yourself and say "Hi, I'd like to hang out, we should get coffee this week. What day works for you?" or "Hey, this movie is out that I want to see. Wanna go? What day works?" I find being specific goes a long way (e.g. want to get coffee, want to go bowling, want to see a movie) because saying "hey we should hang out someday" is soooooo vague, if I say that (or you say that), I'm probably not going to see you for another 6 months, like if you say that because you're in a rush and can't hang out and firm up plans, then you need to follow up later and basically say "so I meant it when I said we should hang out, so I was just wondering when you're free"

You can meet more people by getting involved in your community - go to events (it's totally ok to fly solo at a lot of events such as networking events), volunteer, etc. - walking dogs at a humane society is a great way to meet people, for example., you could also join a community band (the kind with violins and trumpets instead of guitars and drums), join a running group etc. and, voila, tons of people met. So good luck

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions