View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20

talking about overcoming abuse in college application? - September 5th 2016, 11:04 PM

in my english class we're working on practicing writing college essays and stuff, since we're going to be applying in only a few more months.
we're responding to a few different questions that we can choose from, and one of the questions i picked was, "describe the most significant challenge you have faced and the steps you have taken to overcome this challenge."

of course, the worst thing i've had to go through in my life was an extremely abusive relationship with an ex who later raped me. not to mention the depression, trauma, and anxiety i've experienced (and am STILL experiencing) in the aftermath of it.

now, it pisses me off, because i'm a really stubborn person. and the wording of this question does say, "describe the MOST significant challenge..." so obviously, i want to write about the biggest thing that has altered my life indefinitely.
however, since it is for high school, and all teachers are mandated reporters, i obviously can't write about it unless i want the entire school staff and/or cops involved. which pisses me off, because i don't want to have to resort to some lesser challenge i've gone through. it's hard to explain, but it's just kind of upsetting to have to write about something not nearly as significant to me, and act like "yeah, that's the biggest thing that's happened in my life. other than that, i'm fine."
does that make sense?
i don't know.

anyways, that still raises the question of, when i'm writing the real essay for my college applications, should i talk about the rape in there?
i mean, obviously i wouldn't tell the story of how it happened and all that. i would definitely not go into great detail about the actual event, but rather the aftermath of it all, and how i'm currently working to overcome it.

would that seem like something college administrators would look at as more of a something horrible that i've been able to live through and make the best of? (i want to help victims of sexual abuse for sure in my future.) or would it be more of a turn off to them, making me seem weak and mentally unstable?

of course, that probably depends a lot on the way i write it and explain it all.
but what do you guys think? talking about overcoming rape and abuse in a college application -- good or bad?

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you