(#5 (permalink)) Old
obelus Offline
divided yet whole

I've been here a while

Name: Oliver
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35 Points: 59,995, Level: 35

Re: Caffeine addiction. - September 8th 2016, 04:53 PM

Just to note, it's actually quite possible it was a dehydration headache. A female needs about 2.5 liters of fluids every day to be properly hydrated and more if they drink caffeinated beverages. Caffeine dehydrates the body, so beverages with that in them don't contribute as much to hydration as others. Whether your headache was from dehydration or withdrawal from caffeine, it wouldn't hurt to drink less caffeinated beverages during the day and to also make sure you're drinking enough fluids in general.

I think if you do want to cut back a little it would be important to know how much you drink on an average day. You can do that by writing down when you drink something with caffeine in it for a week or so. Then you can take out 2-5 caffeinated drinks per week and replace them with water or something else noncaffeinated. Replacing drinks slowly will help avoid caffeine withdrawal. I don't think it's necessary to cut all caffeine from your life unless you want or need to for other health reasons.

I would also try to aim for at least 1.5 to 2 liters of noncaffeinated fluids per day (if not the full 2.5) regardless of whether or not you decide to cut back on caffeine as a whole. Being properly hydrated really helps your body (and mind) feel good.

“Peace is power”
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.