View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,990, Level: 26 Points: 33,990, Level: 26 Points: 33,990, Level: 26

Re: life changing decisions related to college and moving - September 20th 2016, 07:43 AM

If you haven't yet, I would strongly suggest talking to your guidance counselor. There are several factors that you want to start with, it really depends which ones matter the most to you.

Location: Do you want to live at home or go away? If you want to go away, how far away? and remember to factor in living arrangements to the cost if you don't stay at home. If you're going out of state, it's a lot more expensive. It also depends where you are in relation to schools. I was lucky to have several very close and some that were far away,

Cost: Again, out of state will cost you more, how much are your parents willing and able to help, how will you pay regardless? If you're going to work, how much can you handle working? Financial aid is a headache, it just is.

Type of school: 4-year colleges and universities will cost more than community colleges for the same courses which is why a lot of people transfer the credits. Private will cost more than public. Public tends to be bigger and offer more options and higher degrees.

Size of school: Does it matter to you how big the campus is or how many students they have? Private schools will usually be smaller, but again, more expensive and with fewer majors.

What you want to study: I knew what I wanted when I was 12 and chose a major based on that. It's perfectly fine not to know though. Every degree requires core courses that everyone has to take regardless of major. Start with those and see what you like and don't like, or if anything in particular sparks your interest. This is where community college can be a major money-saver because the courses are a lot cheaper and the credit will transfer to a different school when it's time. You can browse majors and see what you're drawn to and what you could do with it.

Prestige: I wouldn't put too much emphasis on this. A degree is a degree is a degree. 9 times out of 10 it won't matter where it came from.

STAY AWAY FROM FOR-PROFIT though, they're a financial nightmare (University of Phoenix, Capella, etc.) It doesn't sound like you're considering them, but just don't.

As for me, I knew what I wanted to study, and every college had my major. I thought I wanted to go away, but spent the first weekend at the school I chose (45 minutes away) and went running home. Ended up going to the community college for 2 years, then knew I wanted to stay home and didn't want to go to a huge campus. I transferred my credits to the school 5 minutes from my house, it just happened to be private 4-year. I knew I'd have to go to a different school if I wanted graduate school which I needed for the career I wanted. I had to go away for that, and most private schools don't offer many graduate degrees. but there was a public school that had the degree I wanted less than an hour from home, so I chose that one and came home on the weekends. I loved it, but then it got harder than it should've been, I was evaluated for/diagnosed with a disability that would make the career impossible, was forced out of the program without finishing it, and the rest is documented here in the screaming thread. I can go back to the university, but not to the same program. Now I'm trying to decide what to do instead and if doing so is possible or makes sense.

Go on college visits if they're still having them and if possible spend the weekend (see me running home above), Keep in mind that they'll be trying to sell you on the place and be critical of what they tell you.

They say apply to at least 5 schools, at least one that you're almost certain to get into, some that you know you'd probably get into, and maybe one or more that would be a reach. I think application fees are waived for undergrad now, so don't worry too much about that. Make sure you have your materials though (test scores, letters of rec (if required), have your transcripts sent by your school etc.)

You aren't running out of time, you don't have to decide right now. Even if the rest of the world is telling you that. I have a family friend who went to nursing school in her 50's you can always change your mind, or go later if you're not ready. I know it's a ton to take in with deadlines looming, but try not to panic. Your guidance counselor could prove to be a huge help (or not) it really depends, but I would definitely recommend talking to him/her soon.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte