View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Points: 11,009, Level: 15 Points: 11,009, Level: 15 Points: 11,009, Level: 15

Nudity in college theatre - October 29th 2016, 11:10 PM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So this has been a hot debate topic in my house and with my friends recently. At my college they're doing a show in which every one of the cast members has to be nude in some way for some scenes. Full frontal for both males and females.

Every one of the cast members had to sign a paper agreeing that they were okay with appearing nude onstage. However, the thing was if you did not agree to being nude you would not be considered for the show.

Now here are the issues:

Issue 1: Should nudity even be allowed in college theatre? College is a place of education and academics. The students in the shows are in them so they can learn.

Issue 2: Is it fair for the director to say you have to take off your clothes or you can't be considered for the show?

Issue 3: Couldn't they have cut the nudity and just gone with underwear instead?

My take: It's the directors choice to have nudity or not. The script may call for it but it's the directors choice to keep it or change it. And if the actors are okay, consenting, and comfortable then there shouldn't be a problem. Nudity is fine. However, I don't necessarily believe in the contract saying "you have to get naked or you won't be considered." Everyone should have had a fair shot being considered regardless of if they want to be nude or not. I understand that the directors choice was for full cast nudity however I think those who didn't want to be naked should have had the opportunity to be considered anyway. The director should have accomanded everyone and maybe cut people from the nude scenes or allowed them to wear underwear. It's unfair to deny someone a learning opportunity because they're uncomfortable exposing themselves in that way in front of the entire department, friends, family, etc.

I know this is kind of an obscure topic but what do of guys think?

Savvy?