Thread: Non-PG13: Nudity in college theatre
View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Elision Offline
Formerly Pan221
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 6,605, Level: 11 Points: 6,605, Level: 11 Points: 6,605, Level: 11

Re: Nudity in college theatre - October 30th 2016, 08:20 AM

1. Yes, I think it should be allowed. If these actors are looking to become professional, it's something that will probably come up eventually and this provides a good learning experience for them. Also the audience will be mature enough, and it's in some ways a safer environment than in a general theatre, as it's a more protected environment. As its a college the decision will have been taken with the protection of the actors in mind, thus the decision should be allowed

2. I'm a bit split over this. In a way I find it unfair that you would cut someone simply for not wanting to be fully nude, as they might be a really good actor and it's quite a big decision to make. However, the show requires everyone to be nude, so if there was one actor who wasn't it would look strange, and I imagine the show wouldn't flow as well. Also nudity is something that will be asked for at some point in the acting industry, so this is good preparation

3. Could they cut it? It depends what the script requires. If it specifically mentions nudity, I suppose it should be kept in, and it would have more impact than just underwear, so the play would resonate more

It is a tricky issue, but I think it all depends on the actors' willingness, and the decisions of the director

I am inimitable, I am an original

If you cannot reach me to fly, teach me to sing