View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Why am I shamed for being proud of my "straightness" by the LGBT community? - November 7th 2016, 03:06 AM

Hey there and welcome

I think everybody gets attacked on the internet because it's the internet and the whole anonymity thing means that people say stuff they'd never get away with in the real world. I wouldn't worry about that so much, just try to ignore it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, no matter what that means. Some people who identify with a marginalized group (LGBT, racial/ethnic minority, disability etc.) can be sensitive to certain statements because they face so much discrimination and judgement.

I think there's a difference between saying that you're proud of who you are, and saying that you're against someone who is different from you. It's like saying "I'm not gay" vs. "I think it's wrong to be gay." Maybe try rephrasing the way you say it and see if that helps. Or stay away from the issue all together if it's something you don't want to get into with someone.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1259108 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!