View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
MyVisionIsDying Offline
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Average Joe

Name: Shane
Pronouns: He/They

Points: 11,502, Level: 15 Points: 11,502, Level: 15 Points: 11,502, Level: 15

Re: Why am I shamed for being proud of my "straightness" by the LGBT community? - November 7th 2016, 05:27 AM

I definitely see both sides to this and what you've had to experience proves that anyone can be horrible despite their sexuality/gender etc so nobody is exempt from this sort of behaviour.

As Katie said, there are going to be people who are a part of a marginalised group such as the LGBT community who are sensitive to such a thing from the people who pretty much oppress them. I think that we all need to understand that anyone can be proud of who they are because there's nothing wrong with being straight or gay or bi or trans or whatever sexuality and gender one is. But when a majority of the population are heterosexual and have the most representation and safety and privilege then it's pretty much implented into us from the day we're born (thus having to conform to society until we figure ourselves ou). So when some straight person says that they want a "Straight Pride" (as in the parade and celebration etc.) it can feel as if they're taking away what the LGBT community need to make themselves known and heard considering the struggle we've gone through to get to where we are today and the fact there's hardly any representation across all media along with facing discrimination and violence and such; so when we try to gain some equal ground we get told we're sticking it down people's throats, then there's an issue.

So I also understand why the people you have come across felt the way they did, they may have taken what you've said into a different context but I get where they're coming from, being LGBT myself and witnessing crap on the internet too. But I believe how they've reacted may have been a little out of order, I know it can be irking but I have some common sense not to act like a complete jackass because what someone said about a certain topic has hurt my feelings and pissed me off.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1259108 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!