View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Proud90sKid Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18 Points: 16,617, Level: 18

Re: How to get through college without caffeine? - November 10th 2016, 07:24 AM

I recently stopped caffeine. I had a bad bout of anxiety a while back so stopped caffeine and now I cant have any of it without getting super anxious. So now the only time I drink caffeine is when I also am drinking alcohol.

It is a bit harder - but it isnt as hard as I thought. You just have to take 100 percent advantage of the times where you feel you are focused- so when you feel like that - go do homework. I am sometimes fatigued--not because I have a problem but because I am not a morning person whatsoever and my schedule demands I wake up in the morning- so I end up having little sleep. Sometimes though, I feel like I am stimulated enough -almost like a cup of coffee- and feel like I can do homework. You just gotta take advantage of those times you feel up to it- and don't let them go to waste.

You don't actually need caffeine- your body will learn to do without.

It may also help to adjust the dose of caffeine. Sometimes, I take a smaller dose of it than I used to - maybe the equivalent of a cup of green tea rather than coffee- and then maybe again later if I feel up to it.

If you are constantly fatigued- it may actually help to ask for a low dose of an ADHD stimulant medication. Of course don't request it by name- but just ask "do you think adding a stimulant medication would help?"-and leave it at that. It is unlikely to work with most doctors since it would off label (provided your problem doesn't rise to the level of narcolepsy) and they are considered "controlled"/regulated medications, but it is worth a shot. These meds are stimulants that are stronger than caffeine and may not produce the same negative effects. But you would have to have a very understanding doctor who is not 100 percent "by the book" for this to work.

I agree with what others are saying about disability accommodations. The ADA guarantees "reasonable accommodations" for those with disabilities- provided they can do the same level of work. Allowing students to take reduced credit hours without being financially considered a part time student is almost always considered a reasonable accommodation where it would be beneficial for issues related to a person's medical condition or disability. This would include people with fatigue issues, people with executive function (planning and regulating time) problems , etc. So that is worth a shot- but you would need an official diagnosis and assessment to back it up- not just a doctor's unofficial diagnosis. You would need paperwork showing an assessment with a formalized diagnosis.