View Single Post
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
FlowerPunkPrincess Offline
eat sleep rave repeat
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: REDACTED

Points: 5,320, Level: 10 Points: 5,320, Level: 10 Points: 5,320, Level: 10

Re: Why am I shamed for being proud of my "straightness" by the LGBT community? - November 10th 2016, 05:06 PM

okay look i understand you're much younger than i and that you have lots of learning to do, but please never use the phrase "straight pride". i get that you're not being deliberately offensive but that phrase is very offensive. you clearly do not understand the meaning of the word "pride" in the context that queer people use it, and you plastering straightness on it is wrong and insulting.

"pride" in this context isn't simply about being proud of our sexuality or gender identity. it is about being proud to be alive, rising above the hatred we experience on a daily basis in a cishet-dominated society. it has a long history, dating back to the days when queer people had no rights whatsoever, got beaten up by police and completely ostracised by society. pride in our community is the one thing we've had that has gotten us through all this and stayed with us up until today. heterophobia and cisphobia on a wider scale do not exist. you are experiencing contained incidents of people (who clearly also have lots to learn) quite simply being obnoxious. but you're never going to be fired, assaulted, made homeless or murdered for being straight. you are not going to have gunmen targeting your spaces like what happened in orlando. you are not potentially going to have all of your human rights stripped by the next president of the united states.

so you, as a straight cis person, don't need pride. we do. we need it more than ever after what has happened this week. i'm sorry that people are acting this obnoxiously towards you, but please respect the significance of queer pride.
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Users of TeenHelp have rated post 1259108 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!