Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,726, Level: 39 Points: 74,726, Level: 39 Points: 74,726, Level: 39

Re: Cutting - November 11th 2016, 08:19 PM

Hey there,

It's great that you want to help your boyfriend with his cutting, I think that shows that you're a really good person. I want you to know that if he cries, it isn't always a bad thing! Crying is opening up a very vulnerable, honest side of a person, and it's far healthier than self harm. If he does cry, and if he states he is worried you'll be mad or hate him, just reassure him that those things really aren't true. It's clear you care about him a lot, and telling him this will probably help ease the worries he has about how his problem will impact you. It's completely ok to be upset by it - self harm is an upsetting situation for both the person doing it and those around them. It's ok to tell him that it upsets you, but let him know that it's because you care, not because you're angry at him.

A good thing about crying is that for that time, he's releasing his emotions in a way which isn't harming himself or anybody else. IF he's crying, encourage that. Of course it's never a good thing that something has made somebody cry, but if a person is upset, crying is a good way to release that. Don't back away from helping him if this is how he chooses to reach out to you when the topic is bought up. Instead, help him anyway. Let him know that if he needs to talk, or cry, or if the urges to hurt himself are there, that you're always there to listen to him. The more he trusts you, and that means trusting you with how he will open up to you, whether it be through crying or simply talking, the more he will benefit from your help in the long run.

If you need any advice, please feel free to ask. But I think you'll definitely help him by letting him open up like that.
Take care!