Thread: Triggering (Suicide): Depression?
View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: Depression? - January 1st 2017, 10:39 AM

Hey, Danielle!

You say you are used to putting everyone else's problems first, and that's why I'm really glad you decided to take initiative and reach out for your own feelings; that's a really good step and I'm proud of you.

That must be incredibly hard to see your dad go through 10 surgeries wondering if he comes out of it okay each time. Is it okay if I ask why your dad is needing so many surgeries? I completely understand if that's personal and you don't wish to say - no pressure, okay? I just want to let you know that you can share your feelings and experiences regarding your dad's health issues.

When you're scared and worried for people you love, it can make it harder to keep it all to yourself. Which brings me to my next question; have you told any trusted adults, or encouraged your friends to reach out for help? Being worried for both your dad and your friends regarding serious issues, it must weight heavily on your heart especially since you seem like such a caring person. That's why I think it's a good idea that you offer your kindness to your friends along with encouraging them to take their own steps towards help such as talking to a trusted adult and seeking help. Just know there's only so much you can do, alright?

You are right that it can be difficult to say if someone has depression especially since we aren't professionals. At this point in your life, it could be depression or it could be the combination of all the stressful events occurring in your life such as your dad's surgeries, your friends battling suicidal thoughts/urges, and just the normal mood fluctuations that can come with those fun teenage hormones. No matter what is causing is, depression or just life events, whatever you do, just do your best to refrain from bottling it up.

Focusing on others is loving and caring for others, but you have to make sure you find a balance and still focus on yourself too. That is very important. When you're feeling sad, is there anyone around whom you can talk to about how you have been feeling lately? Any adult you trust could be great support, and there's always TeenHelp! You are welcome to talk to us, and you can blog about your day when you have rough or good days. Blogging and journaling are similar and both healthy. Do you have markers/pencils and a coloring book? Coloring can be soothing and stress relieving. Just try to treat yourself with positive attention through the bad times and never lose sight of the fact that you won't always feel the way you do in that moment.

Message me if you need, Danielle. My inbox is always open! I hope you feel better and that your dad is recovering well and is doing better and better with each day. The same to your friends as well. Let them know they're cared for and matter, just like you do, Danielle.