(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: Watching Football = Anxiety? - February 6th 2017, 04:35 PM

Firstly, it's okay to not like sports. Though sporting events can seem like really big things many people aren't interested in sports either. There's nothing wrong with that.

It's interesting that you feel bad about the other team losing. I guess since you aren't interested in sports, you can take an 'outsider' perspective and realise that the your team put in a lot of effort but still lost and that there are many fans who will be disappointed. It sounds like you have great empathy skills and there's nothing wrong with that.

Anxiety during sport events, I imagine, is common. I remember playing video games of car racing and the first few times I played, my heart was racing, and I would be anxious and excited of whether I would win or loose and when I lost I felt so disappointed. When I won, I also wondered about the people behind their screens and how they would feel now that they lost and I won. But the more I played, I noticed something. The less 'intense' my emotional reactions were. Now I no longer cared whether I won or lost and instead just hoped for the best. I still occasionally feel for the other players, but there's nothing wrong with that at all.

Perhaps if you still want to go along and make friends, then I guess the more exposure to sport events you have, the less you'll feel anxious about it. If not, perhaps you can skip the actual sport event and join in later on? There's no need to try to force yourself t like something if it really doesn't appeal to you.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer