View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ForeverAutumn* Offline
together, we are infinite.
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 17,267, Level: 19 Points: 17,267, Level: 19 Points: 17,267, Level: 19

Re: Am I being bullied? - April 28th 2009, 11:55 PM

Hiya Adri.

What I hate about kids who post mean or hurtful stuff online [facebook, myspace etc] is that there isn't always much that can be done about it. A school, for example, can't force a student to take down a hateful webpage about another student. You more or less have no rights on the internet, no civil rights protecting you from being bullied or slandered. The Constitution, the Bill of Rights - they don't extend to the internet because in retrospect, the internet is still a relatively new concept. However, just because a school or a counselor couldn't necessarily force her to take down the webpage, doesn't mean you should just let this problem be. She had no right to post a hateful blog against you, no matter what your feelings for each other may be. What she did is called cyberbullying. Cyberbullying is posting a hate-blog, spreading hurtful rumors, setting up webpages bashing a person, etc online.

You said you tried to confront her - well done for giving confrontation a try. I know how frustrating it can be to have someone deny what they've done and I think before you go any further, it's worth giving confrontation one last try. Try cornering her, or getting a print-out of what she wrote and showing it to her...maybe even try finding someone to come with you when you confront her. There can be power in numbers.

If she still denies it, that's where you need to take things to the next level. Revenge of sorts might be tempting but keep in mind that getting even doesn't get you anywhere. If anything, getting even with her would fuel her fire which isn't going to solve the problem.

I said that your school or a school guidance counselor couldn't do much about a facebook blog, but if she bullies you in school as well, that's something to definitely approach an adult at your school about. Most schools do have a zero-tolerance policy towards bullying and therefore would intervene and try to get the problem to stop. She may even be suspended, it really depends.

If that doesn't work, go straight to the girl's parents. I doubt any parent would be thrilled to know their daughter is acting this way online or bullying another student. Might even be worth getting your parents involved as well. It all depends on your comfort level though, and how far you're comfortable with going.

Always remember that if she makes you feel this way, she's not worth it. Anyone who hurts you or upsets you like this isn't worth listening to, she honestly isn't worth your time. I know ignoring her and letting it go in one ear and out the other isn't the easiest thing in the world to do but, just keep that in mind. Let me know anytime you want to talk about anything, all right? I hope everything works out. Take care of yourself.

how could anyone ever tell you, you are anything less than beautiful?| PM Me
self-harm free since 06.10.11.