Thread: Ugh.
View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
sirenz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Ugh. - February 25th 2017, 05:20 PM

Hi Cass,

Just a food for thought on the email - is there anything you feel you could lose to just give it a try, if it means it could help your counsellor understand how to better help you?

I am also wondering if you have ever tried to ask him to explain to you why he did not seem to want to talk about "situation" and instead to focus on how you would respond to it? sometimes, it doesn't hurt us to clarify so that we can understand how the counsellor is trying to help us and if we disagree, to consider whether something else needs to be arranged, like a new counsellor, because of a lack of fit between the style of counsellor and needs of the client.

But my guess as to why the counsellor focuses on learning to respond to situations is that situations in life are always fluid. This means that the content of situations may constantly change. However, when we learn to respond to these situations that trigger us, e.g. trigger us to become really angry, we can learn to recognise these triggers and learn to come up with coping strategies to help us not feel so terrible. We cannot control situations in life, but we can control how we respond to them. If we learn positive ways to respond to these situations, such as recognising our own emotions and thoughts, it helps us remain calm or to reframe our thinking so that we can help ourselves feel better and see what we can do to rectify the situation. If we respond to these situation, such as becoming frustrated and worked up easily, we can become angry or upset.