View Single Post
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Telling someone about my self-harm - March 6th 2017, 08:38 PM

If you want to tell this friend about your self-harm, maybe you can work your way up to telling them so you can gauge their reaction. For instance, you can tell him that you've been feeling low or depressed lately and see how he responds. Based on his response, you can decide whether or not you want to tell him about your self-harm.

I can understand not feeling as though you can tell your parents and I respect your choice not to. Maybe someday you can tell them if you ever feel ready and comfortable with doing so.

Others have given additional ideas about who you can talk to and I hope you find them helpful. Regardless of who you tell, I hope you will find the support you're looking for.

In answer to your question, I have told people about self-harm. My parents didn't find out by my choice but I had some friends and teachers I confided to in the past. All of them were supportive, though some of them didn't know how to help me and we drifted apart over time. One instance I clearly remember was when I told my friend I have known since I was about five. I was nervous about it and hadn't planned on telling her (it just slipped out) but as it turned out, she was struggling as well.

If you don't get the reaction you are looking for, don't let that stop you from confiding in other people. Eventually you will find someone you can talk to about this.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers