View Single Post
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: Disgusted by scars. - April 11th 2017, 09:37 PM

Hi, Essa.

I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this feeling towards yourself.

Think of those scars as battle wounds in a way. They show what you have been through and the fact that you are still standing; you made it through. Yet they also serve as a reminder to try to be kinder to yourself in the process of struggles as hard as it may be. Perhaps you could exercise the idea of looking at yourself from a different perspective, as you would a friend. If you seen a friend with all the scars you have, wouldn't you want to hug her and let her know she is loved, and isn't alone? Remind yourself that you are loved and direct empathy towards yourself as you were only trying to cope with all the difficulties thrown at you.

And most importantly, don't give up on self-harm recovery; don't give up on yourself. I know it's hard when the urges and life get difficult, but you can recover. I believe in you. It might be easier to look at that in a different perspective as well. Rather than thinking of recovery in the long-term sense, such as quitting self-harm altogether forever, try to reduce self-harm little by little. This approach has its benefits because when you make it a long ways self-harm free and slip up, it can be more discouraging if you were keeping up with your progress. Whereas this way you can take it one day at a time and not keep count, but rather try to get through each difficult feeling, thought and moment self-harm free.

Remember that we care about you, Essa. And couldn't ever see you as disgusting because you are not. You've been through a lot - you're a warrior. I'm hoping you know you can message me anytime you need to get things off your mind. My inbox is always open for you. Stay strong, stay safe and do something nice for you.