View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Mango_ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 3,561, Level: 8 Points: 3,561, Level: 8 Points: 3,561, Level: 8

Exclamation My Little Brother is Getting Bullied. I Need Help! - May 10th 2017, 06:20 AM

Today I found out my little brother is getting bullied.

It started out when my brother was taken to the doctor (today) to get tested to see if he was eligible for focus medication. He is on the autistic spectrum (he doesn't know) but he functions normally enough to get put in normal classes at school. When the doctor told him that he was one out of ten people to have attention deficit disorder, he got upset. Really upset. I am personally myself not at all happy about the way the doctor and my parent broke the news to him, but the damage is done. He now associates himself with "special needs", a category that I think he looks down on. He's 11 years old and in 5th grade. We also heard today that he has been getting bullied at school. Apparently this group of boys have been saying mean things about him while he sits alone and ignores them. He says he has no friends, which is weird because he was just going out with them earlier this month. I myself have never been bullied, but my friends have and I have confronted a bully for my friend. I know that he also tends to have a lot of conflict and drama with his friends.
I really don't know what I can do. My family... is not as close as others. We kinda do our own thing. I can go out if I am responsible and keep my grades above an -A, Brandon (little bro) can do the same if he keeps his grades above a B. I believe my mother is making it worse by FORCING him to talk to her. I told her to let me handle it so now she is expecting answers. I don't want to push him for them though. I want him to tell me when he is more comfortable with it... but I don't know if we have that much time before some real emotional damage happens.
He doesn't have a support system, no one to fall back to. I don't either, really, but that's not the point. We are not that close, but since we are definitely closer than him an Mom I guess I have to make changes so I can help him. This is truly stressing me out and I can't even relate to what he's going through because t has never happened to me before.
He really likes to watch YouTube videos an play video games. He even watches them on his phone at night, much to my parent's dismay when they find him asleep on top of his phone (tbh we both do that). I know that that's not normally healthy, but it helps take his mind of things. I asked my mother to stop taking his phone away. I did this because I reasoned his mental health is like a peice of broken machinery. YouTube videos are distracting. They keep you from thinking. The broken machine stops. No more damage. But, without the distraction, he's sitting there letting his thoughts wonder. I am afraid he can do more damage to himself by just thinking. In this case the broken machine is still running, and that may cause even more damage. Did I make the right choice? This is on me now because I want my brother to walk out of this with no emotional scarring, a higher self-esteem, and still have the motivation to learn and go to school. I just don't know what to do!!

-Mango (not real name)