View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Jordioa18 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jordi

Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19 Points: 18,058, Level: 19

Considering dropping out of college - June 26th 2017, 09:56 AM

So I've been having some problems with my education lately. It's going a little too fast for me and they treat the ability to plan as a career life-or-death situation. Because of my disability (ABI, got a stroke right after birth which damaged the parts that manage my planning skills and social-emotional skills) I don't have much of an ability to plan projects and because of that I am left with three choices:

Option A: Work as hard as I can to get my diploma next year

This is the quick solution. Leave almost everything else in my life in a (far) backseat and focus almost a 100% on college, but that would leave me to a lot more stress, a little to no time for much else in my life (Maybe even no time for my girlfriend), it would feel like I'm doing this more for my parents' financial situation and it could stretch out to option B if I stumble, but if it works, I can get better work much quicker.

Option B: Stay in school, but take a little longer (A half or full year more) to graduate

Although it would take longer to graduate and find a better job in my field, I would still have time for life outside of college and have more time to understand things, but the biggest caveat is that I will have more yapping from my parents about money and why I don't graduate in a year because apart from planning I have the capabilities to, and with the yapping about money I am afraid I will take (part of it) out on my girlfriend because her field of work pretty much guarantees paid internships and most of the year is internship there. It would get me better work, but not as quick as option A

Option C: Drop out of college

The biggest argument supporting this is because I earned a degree before this so I have something to fall back on, so I can get work, but it's a little tougher to find it (My mother and me are also planning to visit jobcoaches in the future nonetheless). Another reason to do this is for me to divert attention more to learning general independence and other skills that might prove useful for me or want to learn. I can always return to education later in my life if I so desire as well. But the caveats are that I would get into fights with my family about it, maybe even get called dumb or "about to be a dirty homeless man" or anything else in the book, I have more chance to be in a (slightly) worse job in the future, the last year would be effort for nothing mostly and student loan debt is an issue too (Although I can think I can pay that back).

Oh, and there is another option.

Option Move to another school or turn the education to a more work-oriented style instead of more school-oriented

This would be kind of a wildcard. If I picked to go to another school, I will probably take a little more longer to get to that college (I am attending the college that is closest to me now), but maybe the way they guide students is better than my current college. But it is pretty late to do that right now. The other option that I just came up with is to try to make it more work-oriented (BBL) instead of school-oriented (BOL). The main caveats are that I have to do more work at home and no student loan, but I get to have my own income and learn more in practice than at school, which I feel more comfortable with than school-based

But to be honest, after 16-17 years of being in school I would want a break from it all at least when I think of it sometimes. I don't look back at schooltime too fondly apart from my graduations and second elementary school at education level. It wasn't all for nothing and am glad and proud of what I achieved there, but I have faced discrimination in my prior years because of my disability and like I said above, at the course I am at now they see planning as a life-or-death situation to pass. Staying in college nonetheless would give me a bigger chance at finding a good job, but I'm kind of at wits end here

PSN: jordioa18

If you need help, PM/VM me