View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Adderall and being more easily scared by loud sudden noises - July 26th 2017, 07:58 AM

I used to take Adderall. I didn't have any problems until I lost weight and started taking Ativan at the same time. Then I realized the two were fighting against each other (Adderall a stimulant, Ativan a relaxant), so I cut the Adderall in half, and felt much better. Possibly losing weight required a change of dose.

I'm not sure if Adderall could be contributing to the symptoms you describe.

However, I do recognize those symptoms. You can slowly reduce those symptoms by doing some Mindfulness Meditation. That brain training exercise will help reduce
over time the jumpiness reflexes you are experiencing.

The basic idea is, for one minute, focus your attention on the present moment. When a thought enters your mind, let it go and return your focus to the present moment. Keep that up for one minute.

After a while you may be able to increase the time to two minutes, then five, ten, eventually up to 25 minutes. Though it's not required that you increase the time, doing it just for one minute will help train the brain if you keep doing it whenever you have a free minute.

(There's an app called "Headspace" you can download on your cell phone. There are animated videos at the beginning of lessons 3, 5, 7, and 9, which explain the simple concepts. There are other free guided meditations you can download, or you can do yoga, qi-gong, or tai-chi, are meditative motion exercises with the same "focus your mind on the present moment" idea. It works, which is why it's been around for thousands of years.)

[There are parts of the brain that become more active, making one more jumpy and reactive to sudden noises or events. The amygdala is one. I'm not a brain scientist so I only know what I've read. Doing this brain exercise can over time decrease activity in the amygdala, and increase activity in other parts, making them stronger, like one exercises a muscle and it becomes stronger. The person becomes a calmer person, and these changes can be seen in brain fMRI scans. So according to books I've read written by scientists I've never met, it works.]

So my suggestion: practice this one minute mind exercise whenever you can, and join a meditation group, or a yoga or qi-gong or tai-chi class.

Best wishes!