View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
organizedchaos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kay

Points: 3,878, Level: 9 Points: 3,878, Level: 9 Points: 3,878, Level: 9

College Visit Nerves! - August 4th 2017, 05:36 AM

So I'm going on a college visit tomorrow to a school I'm fairly interested in and I'm so nervous! We get a tour and spend the night in a dorm with a roommate, and the next day there are some workshops that we got to pick that look really cool.

I'm so nervous though because I'm scared there will be kids from my old high school there... I know it's pathetic but that's how my anxiety works. I am so socially awkward and anxious whenever I'm at the school or in town where I might run into them. It's part of the reason I'm going to a local community college this year instead of going back to the high school. I was looking for ways to get the hell out of there and stumbled upon the program I'm now in, which was a silver lining to it all. The trouble is, even though I know I don't have to go back there and deal with them anymore I'm still terrified of seeing them at college stuff...I won't even go to any of the stores in town I hate that place so much! Luckily though I live closer to another town anyway, but still I know how pathetic I am. Anywhere else besides that town and I'm fine. I go out of town on trips to see family or for vacation and I can easily talk to people and love it! I love meeting new people and talking to them, and yeah I do awkward things sometimes but it's not really me being socially inept or awkward. It's more just my clumsy and goofy personality, and it's really more funny than awkward...

Anyway I keep having this horrible thought, what if I get put in a room with one of them? Or what if a ton of them are there? I'm horrified! Luckily there's this family friend who's going with me, but he's a guy so I can't share a room with him. That means I'll at least be fine when everyone is together, but we are interested in completely different career paths so we won't have any workshops together. That means now I'm only nervous about the workshops and the dorm thing... At least with the workshops we have something to do and a professor showing us things, but in the dorms I'm completely alone with the person for the whole night! Maybe I could just read a book with headphones in if it's someone from my school... I know it's rude but if I'm trapped in a room with one of them I'll probably puke, so being rude is better than being the person who had an anxiety attack right?

I'm looking forward for this chance to get out and meet new people, but now that I'm having these horrible thoughts it's taking away from the excitement so much, and making me anxious!

I don't know what to do, and I don't want to let those assholes ruin my life anymore! Does anyone have any tips on how to get over this weird anxiety and get rid of these anxious thoughts? Also any ideas on what I can do if any of them are actually there, or I actually get put in a room with one?

Kay