View Single Post
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Thoughts on Health Class? - August 12th 2017, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metanoia. View Post
While health classes can definitely cover a lot of topics that seem like common sense, the information is actually pretty useful. Based on my experience, I think the way the material is approached could be updated a little bit. But, for students who don't have open conversations with their parents, these classes might be the only place that they're able to learn more in-depth information about things like safe sex and the long-term effects of drug and alcohol abuse.

I agree with a lot of this. Ideally parents/family would be the ones to talk to their children about safe sex, drugs and all that. However, for a number of different reasons parents do not or they simply teach abstinence. My niece who has just turned 10 is starting to hear stuff about sex and relationships and my sister in law refuses to discuss it with her because of how conservative she is regarding sex. While I do think my niece is a little young to be hearing that...once a kid come home and starts telling you they are learning about sex or relationships...it's best to start talking to them because if you don't they are going to get a whole lot of bad advice.

Sadly, parents aren't educating their children and that is why it is important for schools to have comprehensive sex education that is inclusive.

There are so many issues with kids not having proper sex ed and access to proper contraception. Comprehensive sex ed would be a step in the right direction.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|