View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: How to tell my parents? - September 4th 2017, 02:19 AM

You're 18 so technically they don't really get much of a say in who you date or, if you even decide to tell them. I know plenty of people who are 20+ years old and they do not tell their parents about someone they have just barely started dating until they feel like they want to or until they feel like the relationship is in a place where they want the person to meet their family.

That being said, since you still live with them they do have the right and the ability to impose their beliefs about dating and if you don't follow the rules they make they can kick you out. And, I am assuming, this is why you are having difficulty with telling your parents? I mean, I don't have overly strict parents and both my parents never wanted to lie to us or hide information about sex from us and so, when I stared dating, or even showed interest in dating my dad was okay with it. He just wanted me to be safe. If I am not making an accurate assumption as to why you are worried about talking to them than please feel free to clarify.

Here's what I will say, if your parents will end up trying to prevent your relationship or if they will threaten to kick you out if you don't follow their rules based on you dating...than you might not want to let them in on the fact that you are dating someone until you aren't living with them. I know two people who have experienced issues with their parents when they started dating at 18+ because the parent didn't agree with them dating or had these really strange rules and pretty much said "Follow the rules or leave". One person was able to move in with her boyfriend but the other person was not and it caused major issues in there relationship.

If your parents won't threaten to kick you out or impede on your relationship in any weird way (Maybe they won't let you have your boyfriend alone in your room). Than you should just come out and talk to them about it. Explain to them that you and him had only been talking and you weren't sure where it was going so you didn't want to tell them. Let them know that your boyfriend is willing to meet them (even wants to). It is very possible that if your parents meet your boyfriend and he is respectful during the interactions he has with them than they will come to like him.

When I first started dating my boyfriend my dad felt super uncomfortable with me staying out with him as late as I was. I told my boyfriend that he was uncomfortable with it because it was my first real relationship and my boyfriend said "That means it's time for me to meet him so he can get to know me" That meeting actually did help ease my dad's mind and he stopped being as paranoid about me hanging out with my boyfriend late into the evening.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.