Thread: School Nerves!
View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: School Nerves! - September 8th 2017, 04:21 PM

Nobody deserves friends more than someone who feels like they don't have any. I think a lot of us can relate though, and I think a lot of people are having a hard time connecting with others and meeting people who are good for them. When I got to college, I ended up dropping a bunch of friends I had because I realized the friendships were toxic, and then when I graduated college I ended a bunch of the friendships I had at that time as well.

I've made a lot of my friends through work though, so I recommend getting a part time job, especially on campus if you can. Clubs are also a good option, and I also recommend attending events that your residence hall puts on. I rarely went to those when I was in school, and I missed out on meeting most of the people in my dorm. I'm a bit of an introvert myself, so going out and attend events and clubs was difficult, but it is the best way to meet people. However, college does make it easier to build friendships as everyone will live near you, and each class will have a different group of people you can get to know.

Overall though, don't stress too much. Everyone gets nervous making the transition into college, and unless someone is a complete social butterfly, chances are they feel the same as you. Try befriending your roommate right away so that you have a buddy to grab food with, and don't be afraid to make small talk with people you sit next to in class. Also, don't worry about your age. People stop caring about how old you are after high school. One of my best friends in college was 3 years older than me, and now most of my friends are in their mid to late 20's and it's not weird at all.

For now, I think you should focus on increasing your confidence and how you see yourself. That takes time, but I do recommend working on it. You should be proud of all your accomplishments! I also recommend taking some time to think positive thoughts about yourself, that can really go a long way.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor