Thread: Female Advice Preferred: How do i convince my Girlfriend that i didn't cheat?
View Single Post
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11 Points: 5,755, Level: 11

Re: How do i convince my Girlfriend that i didn't cheat? - October 15th 2017, 04:39 AM

I had a girlfriend like that once.

The relationship ran its course and ended. It was good while it lasted.

The relationship helped prepare me for the next relationship which was much better.

As for proving something never happened, unfortunately you can't prove a negative. e.g. you can't prove Santa Claus doesn't exist. The best you can do is known as "The Negative Evidence Principle", which says,

1. IF the hypothesis were true, THEN there ought to be evidence.

2. A thorough search for this evidence has been made and none has been found.

Then, one can conclude that it's unlikely the original hypothesis is correct.

For example,

1. IF Santa Claus exists, THEN there ought to be a huge toy factory at the North Pole.

2. A thorough search of the North Pole has been made and no sign of a huge toy factory has been found.

However, one can always insist you just haven't searched well enough.

Such is the unfortunate fate of someone accused of something which never happened. There's no way to prove your innocence. The best one can do is point out all the inconsistencies in the story, how improbable the story is, how crazy psycho nuts the accuser is, how the accuser has a history of falsely accusing men, etc.

(This is known as the H1 vs H2 hypothesis test. If we assume H1=Yes it Happened, how well does the evidence fit? Then assume H2=No it Never Happened, then how well does the evidence fit? Which scenario has the higher probability? The better fit to the evidence?)