View Single Post
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Points: 20,103, Level: 20 Points: 20,103, Level: 20 Points: 20,103, Level: 20

Re: Research Survey on Rape and whether we should increase the sentence for rapist - May 3rd 2009, 12:27 AM

Rape is a heinous crime. Many times rapists are repeat offenders whereas 'crime of passion' murders are highly unlikely to kill again. What's more is I would rather be murdered than raped again. I not only believe that their sentence should be increased but I also believe conviction rates should be much higher. Personally, the fact that there was a high chance the man who raped me would get away even if I did take him to court discouraged me enough that I never reported it. Keep in mind that only 1% of those charged with sex crimes goes to jail. That is a sickening statistic. No matter how long the sentence I don't think it fits the crime. In my opinion no amount of years served can make up for what they did. It just isn't that easy to make amends for something like this. I honestly can't think of a way a rapist could ever make up for their crime. I realize that some victims are able to forgive their assailants I just have a hard time comprehending how they are able to reach this peace.

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

Last edited by soul; May 3rd 2009 at 03:12 AM.