View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount88

Edit avatar

Scars and job/work - February 20th 2018, 03:04 AM

Sorry if this is in the wrong place - wasn't sure if self-harm category or education and career category.

I have a lot of scars on my forearms - the inside of my left arm is almost all scars but there are also some on my right arm and on the outsides of my arms.

I'm like a year from graduating college (knock on wood) and am thinking about internships and grad school and jobs after I get my degree. My mom's never explicitly said it, but she's kinda made it clear that she thinks I need to cover up my scars (especially around family but also with the couple job interviews I've had) and that they'll hurt my chances in the work world (right term?).
Is she right? Should I always wear long sleeves (like down to my wrist long and not even 3/4 sleeves) at interviews and work after getting a job? Or will I be able to wear shorter sleeves?

I have no issues wearing short sleeves and sleeveless shirts (I am not ashamed of the scars though i guess i should be?) even to the jobs I have now. I work at the University library and at a bookstore and I've never had any problems (I know, student jobs) and no one has ever said anything to me about the cuts/bandaids or scars (not teachers, co-workers, or classmates, or anyone).

But is my mom right? Are the scars a bigger deal than I think they are? Should I be covering them up?