Mirabelle Offline
Owl Whisperer
Average Joe

Name: Mirabelle

Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9 Points: 4,257, Level: 9

Re: Weekend Baking - May 3rd 2018, 04:57 PM

Mediterranean Quince & Apple Tart

Recipe author unknown.

These hard but fragrant fruits are usually in season during the months of autumn, but lately I've been seeing them appearing in Spanish village markets so perhaps someone is growing them earlier? I don't know, but quince is memorably delicious and especially so when Membrillo is made from it. For that, I'll find the recipe when my life is a bit quieter over the weekend.

This tart needs a good hour of your time, but it really is rather special. Serve it with double cream if the idea appeals.

SERVES 8

For the crust:
butter 100g, at room temperature
sugar 80g
egg 1, lightly beaten
plain flour 200g
lemon 1
quinces 500g
caster sugar 2 tbsp
maple syrup 3 tbsp
sweet apples 750g

For the top:
plain flour 150g
butter 75g
demerara sugar 75g
egg 1, lightly beaten
You will also need a 22cm tart tin with a removable base

Make the pastry crust: dice the butter and put into the bowl of a food mixer or processor with the sugar. Cream till light and fluffy, then add the egg, mix thoroughly then spoon in the flour. Bring the dough into a ball – it will be quite soft – then place on a generously floured work surface or board. Knead briefly, it will make it easier to work. Roll out the dough to fit the tart tin, pushing it carefully into the corners and up the sides, patching any tears as you go. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Put a baking sheet in the oven and set at 200C/gas mark 6.

To make the filling: squeeze the lemon into a mixing bowl. Peel, core and chop the quinces into small pieces, tossing them in the lemon juice as you go to stop them browning.

Place the chopped fruits in a deep pan, add the sugar and maple syrup, cover with a lid and leave over a low heat for 15 minutes until tender enough for you to easily insert a metal skewer into them. Check regularly and lower the heat if necessary, particularly towards the end of cooking when the syrup has reduced.

Meanwhile core and dice the apples; there is no need to peel them. Stir them into the quinces as soon as the quinces are almost tender. Continue cooking, covered with a lid, for 5-10 minutes or until the apples are just soft. Set aside.

Make the topping: put the flour and butter into the processor and blitz till they resemble fine breadcrumbs. Or rub the butter into the flour with your fingers. Add the sugar and the egg and mix briefly to a moist, crumbly texture.

Fill the uncooked tart case with the apple and quince mixture, setting aside any juice, then scatter over the crumble topping. Some of the fruit will show through. Lift on to the baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes till the crust and pastry are crisp and golden. Allow to settle a little before serving with a trickle of the reserved juices.