Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: Should i go to the funeral? - May 25th 2018, 07:51 PM

Hey there,

I went to my first funeral when my nan died and I was fearful about what to expect too. It's a difficult thing to go through and you should know that you're under no obligation to go if you don't want to. The funeral will depend on what type of service (e.g. if it's religious etc), but they're personal so it also depends on the person and those who arrange it. I've been to two now, and both involved somebody doing a little talk about the persons life and family. There is usually some music which can also be chosen by the family, and sometimes poems or quotes too, as well as a program sometimes.

The main thing you can expect is that it will be very heartfelt and emotional. People will likely be visibly upset and crying, but it's a wonderful way to pay tribute to someones life.

If you choose not to go to the funeral itself, you could go to the wake which happens after. This way, you can still show your respects to your granddad and talk to the other people there too. This is usually much more relaxed and there is sometimes food and drinks too. It's a nice way to talk about him without being in a room designed for crying in (which is what I had in my head all the way leading up to my nans funeral). It takes the fear out of it a bit.

The choice is entirely yours. I don't regret going despite my worries, and I'm glad I got to see my family off, however it is a tough thing to do. It's painful and emotional, and its completely understandable if you choose not to go because of that. Don't feel bad either way, your granddad would understand.

I hope this helps.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.