(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34 Points: 57,622, Level: 34

Re: Age regression - March 1st 2019, 06:20 PM

Nothing to be embarrassed about and what you said makes perfect sense.

As you've found out, age regression can occur for many reasons, including things trauma related and PTSD. It seems like watching kids shows, sucking your thumb etc were things that helped you to feel safe when you were younger and it makes sense that while doing DBT you may want to revert back to baby talk and other 'safe' things.

Even without mental illness, 'adulting' can be hard and we all need down time to do the things that we like and enjoy. There's nothing wrong with being 27 and liking stuffed animals, watching kids shows, even thumb sucking, in the privacy of your own home. Part of the reason why you may feel embarrased is that society often says we should have 'grown up' past these things, but really, everyone is different and there's nothing wrong with still liking the things you did as a child. Personally, I feel young in myself as I don't do many things that are considered 'age appropriate' and like you I like childish things too. I just see it as part of my personality and that's okay Though as Latte said above, it's also worth exploring in therapy and developing new coping techniques which you can use, more so in public or when around other people and can't rely on your current techniques.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer