View Single Post
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Storyteller. Offline
Spite and coffee.

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Charlie
Pronouns: they/them

Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46 Points: 106,654, Level: 46

Re: How to support a grieving friend. - January 29th 2020, 04:07 AM

I'll probably end up changing this a fair bit, but here are the points I'm thinking of including so far:
  • don't make their grief about you (understand that you may get hurt even if their intention is not to hurt you, don't blame the grieving person for making your life more difficult, make sure you have your own support network while you support them)
  • be specific and proactive (give concrete offers of support, for example "would it help if I did x" rather than simply saying "let me know if I can help", don't leave the onus of reaching out to the person who's grieving)
  • your experience/knowledge is only a starting point (remember that everyone grieves differently and adjust your approach according to the person's own experience)
  • don't make assumptions; keep communication lines open (don't assume that other people are picking up the slack or reaching out to help, if you're not sure how to help then it's okay to talk about it with the person who's grieving, let them know that they can reach out to you if they need to)
  • practical help is as important as emotional support (while listening and talking to a grieving person is important it's not the only aspect, many grieving people struggle with everyday activities and may need help doing seemingly simple tasks)
  • encourage the grieving person to seek other support (know your limits and don't offer more help than you can definitely give, help the grieving person find alternative or additional avenues of support, make sure they know that this is because you care about them and want them to heal - not because they're not moving on quickly enough or because their grief is inconvenient for those around them)
  • take note of key dates (anniversaries and other specific dates can often be an especially difficult time, be prepared to offer more support around these times)
  • suggest activities to do together (these can be grief-specific, such as talking about the deceased person or looking at photos of them, or more general, like doing fun or soothing things together as a distraction)
I may think of some more points in the next couple of days, but in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them!

"Love means never having to say
you're a werewolf."

Last edited by Storyteller.; January 30th 2020 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Edited to add in suggestions from another writer.