(#4 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Keto diet - May 4th 2020, 08:59 AM

Hi Jordan,

Sorry for not having seen this earlier! I personally don't have experience with the keto diet but my dad tried for a few weeks and it went okay for him - I don't suppose there was any significant benefit he derived from it but it didn't harm him either.

If you feel that this is not the right time for you to try this diet, you might want to hold it off. If the idea of it is making you uncomfortable, perhaps it might be better to not have a go at it right away. Personally, the idea of cutting out an entire food group - a very important one, that too - raises an eyebrow (at least in my opinion).

At the base of it, I think keto's sudden rise to popularity has given it very mixed reactions among people. Since you mentioned that you have an eating disorder, I wouldn't advise that you try it out until you've had a chat about it with a dietician.
It's good that you are taking this into consideration - after all, we never know the repercussions fad diets like these have on our physical and mental health.

I understand that you might not have access to a dietician, but if you really want to try it out, you might want to consider looking for a certified dietician online. Nowadays, especially given lockdowns and all, many healthcare professionals are switching to online appointment systems.

Take care and feel free to DM me if there's anything you'd like to talk about