(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42 Points: 88,885, Level: 42

Re: Sudden behaviour change in family member - June 13th 2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celyn View Post
When I, or a relative has a behaviour changed, it's often been out of mental health, peer pressure/bullying, obsessions or love. It could be similar for your brother, but I'm also wondering if you know what your brother does in his spare time, when he's in his room or on his computer?

I have family members who, when earning money, just seemed to focus on their money and what they want, often as a result of growing up on benefits. Unfortunately, they couldn't handle their money very well as they would always buy lots of stuff or expensive stuff and have often been in debt and taken out loans, credit cards etc. They managed to have money to spend on themselves but never contributed to pay bills while living at home. It got to the point where companies were chasing them and they wanted to pretend they weren't living at home.

It might not be that but keep an eye out for any money or gambling issues. It might be love, but there's also the chance of being taken advantage of (some family members have been so desperate to do things like moving a stranger into an inherited house that they aren't living in).

I'm sorry that you and your family are going through this. It's hard watching a loved ones behaviour change and not only that but being treated poorly in the process. I don't know what to suggest other than trying to keep the lines of communication open with your brother. Whatever is going on, it does seem suspicious and even though it would be nice to think that it's love and when things have settled it will go back to normal, but it's good to keep an open mind in case that's not the case.
Hi Sarah,

I thought the above as well. I wonder if your brother is experiencing potential stress from work or mental health. I'm obviously no psychologist but it might be something you can talk to your brother about and see what he says.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.