(#3 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: picking at scalp - July 16th 2020, 03:00 AM

Hi there,

I have a similar issue whereby I pick my hair out of habit, even if I'm not feeling anxious or nervous, so I can understand how frustrating it can get when you're trying to break a habit. And I haven't had much luck breaking this habit, though as I write this I suddenly feel compelled to give it another shot.

I have read somewhere that it takes 21 days to break a habit, though that appears to be a controversial concept. Anyhow, generally the more we work on something, the more we get accustomed to our new way of living/new habits and practices. Kind of like how we're more used to living in quarantine now as compared to when it was first declared in March. So give yourself time and monitor where your hands go when you're doing something. Being aware of this might help control it, until you reach a point you're not doing it as much as before.

Like Rivière said, toying with a pen or something might help. Or every time you feel your hand going up to your head, you can try to consciously remind yourself that you need to keep your hands elsewhere (I know this is really, really hard!!), it will definitely take some patience.

This can be hard because our hands just go up to our head almost subconsciously, but don't give up! And good luck!!