View Single Post
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: I feel like I’ll never get better. - August 2nd 2020, 05:58 PM

I can't say I've ever felt like I'll never get better. This is because I've accepted I know that I never will. There is no science to prove that a human being will ever be 100% better from their mental health issues. Only that they will become less apparent with some more than others.

Talking to people helps a person, but only so far. Unfortunately counselling, therapy, psychiatrist, or any other mental health professional is just a tool. Just like medication, it's just a tool. A tool's effectiveness varies from person to person.

I remember when I first had counselling at 18. The counsellor made it very clear that she can sit there and listen to me, prompt questions for me, and talk to me for however long, but unless I'm ready to really utilise the tools she's given me to become self-empowered, talking is only going to work a short while. The counselling place I went to had a soft cut-off point of 2 years. This is because talking to therapists, counsellors etc, no longer help us.. We use them as a place to talk, but then we never really work through our problems. It becomes nothing more than an outlet and that's not the purpose of therapy. By being in therapy for a prolonged amount of time, it becomes nothing more than a crutch to prop us up when something goes wrong. We can't solve our problems by just talking to somebody about them, but we can by trying to change what actually is the problem from the root of the cause.

Medication can work for a while, but like anything we put in our body, it only becomes accustomed to it after a while and then we have to end up going back to our doctor with complaints that our medication is no longer working. They end up upping our dosage or try us on another brand of medication entirely. The cycle will never end.

I know this probably wasn't the response you were hoping for, but unfortunately the only true way to get better is to be the person who finds the strength to push past those hard times, work through the issues going on, and progress towards a goal. Having a goal gives a person a purpose, a meaning. It encourages and gives our life direction. If you focus just on going to therapy and having medication in the hopes it'll help you get better, you unfortunately won't. By changing your environment, confronting that evil in your life that did wrong to you, whatever it may be, that is that is going to help you move forward. That is what is going to help you recover.

Last edited by Rivière; August 2nd 2020 at 07:30 PM.