View Single Post
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

separated in an abusive relationship - September 15th 2020, 03:56 AM

I just broke up with my girlfriend of over a year. The reason I did it is because a lot of her mental issues would get vented at me. She has depression, an eating disorder, anxiety, and what she describes as "emotional dysregulation"- emotional reactions that can tend to be pretty extreme or aggressive. I will say that 90% of our relationship was great- but 10% of it consisted of her lashing out at me, usually when I didn't deserve it.
Recently, this manifested in her cussing me out over text while I was having a good day and she wasn't. She said, "I f*cking hate you" out of nowhere just because I posted a picture of me on the beach. I had no idea what was going on, but instead of talking to me, she kept freaking out and refusing to tell me what was wrong.
Keep in mind, stuff like this has happened before, but never this bad. I can usually brush it off. I'll just accept that she has issues and calm her down. But this time really hurt and I finally saw this for what it was- a cycle of emotional abuse. It's not exactly the worst abuse ever, but it still counts, and I was going to leave before it got worse.
The breakup wasn't great. In spite of those freakouts, this girl loves me and I know it. And I love her too. And here's the thing: if she had given me the apology the day before that she gave me after I said we were over, I wouldnt have broken up with her. She typically just made excuses the other times and she realized she crossed the line. She also had a treatment plan ready and admitted that she was being abusive to me. If she had done all that over the phone the day before, I wouldn't have broken up with her. I know that it can be a part of the cycle of abuse for a partner to break down and apologize before falling back into abusive habits, so I accepted a bargain that she begged for: we'd break up for six months (I originally said a year) and she'd have to be treated and able to treat me better at the end of that for me to reconsider. She also said that I could date other people if I wanted to. I understand that its not easy and she might not be 100% by that time, but she promised with everything she had that she would be better and win me back. I'd never seen her actually motivated to get treatment at any other time during our relationship when it was just for herself, so maybe this time would be different.

If you read this whole thing, bravo. Do you think this was a good idea? It's day 2 and I miss her already. I hope she can fix this.