(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mallika Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mallika

Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15 Points: 11,409, Level: 15

Re: Anxiety and Stress over Hoarding Books - October 8th 2020, 10:50 AM

Hi Leah,

Thanks so much for reaching out about this! I know how beloved books are and how difficult it can be to part with them. I've had this experience with old toys and my cherished collection of ceramic items.

One thing I've learned from my struggles with OCD is that the best way to combat anything is to face our fears head-on. I think that applies for anything in life too! If you are feeling desperate and anxious about parting with books, not doing anything to give those books away is going to keep you shackled to this anxiety. However, if you decide to do exactly what your anxiety wants you not to do (i.e. to in fact part with those books), you will have conquered this anxiety.

It might help to sort the books into piles of different values of importance - some would to into can-never-part-with-at-all-costs piles, some into the important-but-not-the-most-important, some into the keeping-it-for-the-sake-of-it pile, and so on. That way, segregating the books might help you decide on which books to keep and not keep. Like Emma said, donating or giving away the books is a great idea. If you are worried that you have not read those books and would like to read them someday (I know, I have been through the same thoughts when I had to sort out my books when we moved houses), it might help to consider the practicality of the thought - will you actually ever read the book? I was once keeping this nonfiction that I thought I'd definitely read, but then after many years had passed and I had not touched it, I thought to myself "If I hadn't read it all these years, I'm not going to read it anytime soon," and I gave it away. If some titles could be given away but you are sure that you'd read them someday, you can note them down and find them in the library subsequently when you decide to read them.

I know it must be really confusing when you're planning to move out, and we all get sentimental about our items. But in life we have to constantly move places, and this process is quite inevitable. However, it can be a great way for us to clear some space and give away items that could go into better hands too.

Good luck, and PM me if you'd like to chat about anything!