(#59 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22 Points: 25,205, Level: 22

Re: Presidential Election. - November 18th 2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud90sKid View Post
My state relies heavily on hospitality industry, tourism, indoor dining, and bars. And my town is filled with mostly small businesses. Our unemployment rate became amongst the highest most the nation in the last shutdown ... yet dems claim we didn’t shutdown enough and that we need to shutter all the industries that my state relies on. Honestly : fuck that.

I don’t agree that we should do that- especially as I will be looking for a job next spring...

If anything I have become more of a Trump supporter during the pandemic. Not because Trump necessarily did a good job (he didn’t), but because he is the less likely candidate to destroy jobs when I desperately need one.

I already had to go to school for another year because while I could have left last year, the shutdown ruined my job prospects. My mental health has also gotten worse as a result of the social distancing measures. I cannot go for another year to receive money as an instructor and therefor cannot agree to another shutdown...It isn’t selfish- people need money to eat and my life is just as important as those with COVID
Given that hospitality and tourism is your states main industry, dont you think it would be equally or more problematic if those restaurants and hotels became covid hotspots and then shut down anyway? People dont want to eat or sleep at a disease hotspot. Thats why the cruise line industry collapsed.
I totally get that not working sucks- I've been out of work since April. But I also see countries around the world with higher population density (Like Japan, South Korea) handling this pandemic far better than we are without significant job losses. Our government should definitely be doing far more to help people than just giving them $1200 and almost nothing else. The problem is, if we leave everything open, the hospital infrastructure will be completely overrun and the government won't have much choice but to close areas down to combat it. A country where hospitals are leaving dead people in refrigerated trucks is pretty close to a failed state.
Thats not even to mention the long-term economic effects of Covid- we're going to be paying for this disease long after its gone.
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.