View Single Post
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: Covid: Five ways to be better at online uni - December 6th 2020, 06:18 PM

Despite no longer being at university, I can definitely say that finding out your learning style is 100% important. I don't learn through audio or reading massive walls of text. I learn through pictures and lists. I like a lot of examples and analogies as it helps with my dyslexia.

Trying to learn online, when I was required to, was really difficult because naturally it's almost always reading. A good way of managing it is to pace yourself and learn in bursts. When studying psychology, it was found that studying in maximum of 40-minute bursts with a 15-20 minute break in between was actually far more beneficial to students rather than trying to cram for hours. Attention span may not always go down, but the ability for the mind to process the information presented does. I tend to revise and work in short bursts of 15-20 minutes. I have a terrible attention span and with my dyspraxia, often get distracted by slight noises and smells. From this, it was important to try and control my environment as much as possible.

Studying in one's room doesn't always help either as there's too many 'homely' distractions around and it tends to be the place where we like to relax and wind down. Motivation is harder when working from the comfort of your own room rather than in an educational setting such as a library.